The middle of November is here, and that means it is almost time for Thanksgiving! I love this time of year because of all the fun activities available for our family to participate in, but man, it can get busy.
The meaning of Thanksgiving reminds me to be intentional, slow down, and focus on sharing our blessings with others.
This year, my girls are old enough to participate in intentionally showing gratitude by giving back. They might not fully comprehend gratitude at 2 and 4 years old, but I love planting the seeds as often as possible.
Here at Out and About Friends, our mission is to help you get out in the community, enjoying time with your family and making memories. Here are a few ways to get out with your kids and give back to our DFW community this Fall!
1. Donate or Volunteer at a local Food Pantry. Picking out items at the grocery store and delivering them to a food pantry is a hands-on way to plant the seed of giving. For older kids, check out the links below for local volunteer opportunities. Please share any other pantries in your area!
2. Make a special picture for a neighbor who might be lonely. Stop by for a little visit to let them know you are thinking of them!
3. Bring water, baked goods, or hand-drawn cards to your local Fire Station or Police Department. My daughter is super interested in the Police and Firefighters in our community. Consider visiting a local station and donating items to show your support.
4. Check out your local shelter’s needs list and fulfill a few. Presbyterian Night Shelter is an emergency shelter “dedicated to helping guests move into their own homes, and we help them get there with housing assistance that includes job training, employment assistance, life-skills education and much more.” (http://www.journeyhome.org/how-you-can-help)
5. Pick activities from the book Do Nice, Be Kind, Spread Happy This Kane Miller book is a great tool for finding kind ways to spread happiness throughout the year! Geared toward kids ages 7 and up, the book is 96 pages of ideas and encouragement for spreading joy!
We at Out and About Friends wish you blessings, joy and wonderful memories with the ones you love this Thanksgiving.
Your Out and About Friends,
Tiffany and Kristen